Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Purple And White Iris Oil Painting

8x8 Oil on Canvas
Cheri Wollenberg
I was upstairs in my studio when my husband called me from downstairs and said he wanted to show me something.  As I went down I began to question him....what was it?  Of course he wanted to be mysterious and made me wait.  He showed me this volunteer iris that had popped up very close to the foundation of our home.  It was an unexpected one and he knows how it pleased me to see its beauty.  He also knows what I do with these kind of finds?  It was from some bulbs that I had dug up in my mother's yard last summer.  I had thrown some of the leftover bulb "trash" and soil at the corner of the flower bed thinking that there wasn't anything in it but dirt!

Painting this iris reminded me of my mother.  She left this world last August but she left many memories for her four girls, family and friends.  She loved to garden.  At anytime of a spring and summer day you could drive by her house and she would be stooped over pulling weeds.  Everytime she came to visit me...everytime....if we were standing around visiting outside and she saw a stray weed (she saw plenty of them), she would stoop over and pull it up.  

My mother!  I miss her.  I thank her for many things she brought to my life.  I thank her for the opportunity to see this flower grow up and provide an opportunity for me to paint such a simple, little work.  During the process of painting it I enjoyed once again....my mother's presence.  A long post...sorry!  You can find this painting in my Etsy shop by clicking here.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Lovely... both the words and the painting.

Poppy The Pig, Original Oil Painting by Cheri Wollenberg

Poppy Original 8x8 Oil Painting On Canvas by Cheri Wollenberg   Poppy is pig who might be hungry and waiting on his master to bring corn or ...