Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Snowmen–Paintings and Tins

I couldn’t decide what title to give this post!  I knew it might be a longer post, so steps or parts seemed to be the answer.  I wanted to bring credit to many deserving people who have blessed my life as a painter over the last three years.  So here is my story:

 Each year I try to paint something for the winter season and/or Christmas.  I started out painting realistic scenes and subjects.  I would have them printed into note cards for my personal use.  Then I was very inspired by a young lady who “felts” and sells her work on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/BearCreekDesign) in 2011.  She creates some of the most charming felted snowmen and they seemed to “talk” to me Laughing out loud.  It was as if each said “paint my sweet face” and I’ll bring a happy attitude to everyone who sees me during the winter!  I contacted her and asked her permission to allow me to use the images of her adorable little snowmen.  I painted my first two whimsical snowmen in 2011.  Last year I created two more and they are added here:
Snowman III 6x6          Snowman IV 6x6 Print
         Snowman III                             SnowmanIV

Part II of my story is kind of like Buzz Lightyear’s approach to life, “Infinity and Beyond”!  However, I would insert the text, “Etsy and Beyond”!  I began to sell on Etsy in 2009.  I have enjoyed this venture so much that it is difficult to explain unless you are an Etsy seller!  I ‘ve met the most wonderful people from all over the world….good, kind people…..sellers who encourage, and buyers who enjoy my work!  For more on this story you can actually go here, see my studio and read more about the process of my work: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatterBoxArt/about/.

Part III…. Last year from January to July I worked with a young man who has a design firm to create the composition that is on these tins.  He had came up with the idea of the grouping of snowmen and hired me to paint them in my style.  I'm very grateful to him for his trust and confidence in my work.  I'm also grateful that my work was exposed through Etsy and this blog.  I've worked very hard to get my work to the public.

Caroling Snowmen (2)_edited-3Caroling Snowmen
 
Part IV…….. My work is being displayed on popcorn tins and sold in Walmart stores this month.  These two generous people who let me interpret and express their ideas in my own "style" are absolutely AWESOME!   I wanted to thank them in this post for this opportunity.  My family is very proud of me(lol).  They have pasted the tins all over Face Book.  We have discussed that before this we might not have taken the time to see who the artists are on those wonderful gift items every year.  I think we will be much more interested now... Also, Etsy has provided the opportunity for me to do custom work for  many people.  I enjoy selling there.  Etsy is a great way to get your “hand-made” items seen, and I appreciate the efficiency and work of their staff and people.  My snowmen are available in small prints in my print shop:http://www.etsy.com/shop/artprintsbycheri.  For larger prints (up to 16x16 on canvas) contact me there.

Here is a look at the tinsSmile
           

Poppy The Pig, Original Oil Painting by Cheri Wollenberg

Poppy Original 8x8 Oil Painting On Canvas by Cheri Wollenberg   Poppy is pig who might be hungry and waiting on his master to bring corn or ...