Saturday, July 10, 2010

Blue and Pink Hydrangea


Blue and Pink Hydrangea
12x12 Original Oil Painting on Wrap Around Canvas

by
Cheri Wollenberg

Composition is always one of the first things I think about when I begin the process of painting. I have found that it is better for me to think things out first. When painting from a picture as beautiful as the one Dana Marie has provided, many decisions seem to be already made for me. It is rather tempting to paint exactly as the image. Since it is such a wonderful image in the first place, I began to think first in terms of originality and format. Where should I place the focal point? I didn't want to copy her image exactly. I decided to go for a square format, 12x12, and squeeze the clusters of hydrangea a little closer. Next, I changed a couple of the flowers to shades of pinks and red blue-purples. Early on as I painted I wanted to use more yellows and yellow oranges in the background to complement the blue and purple shades of the hydrangea. This set a perfect stage for the little yellow beauties to become more harmoneous to the whole composition. What fun! Thank you Dana Marie. Hope your move goes well.

6 comments:

Dana Marie said...

Cheri, this is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with on "Inspiration All Around Us"!

Happy Painting!

~ Dana Marie

Helen said...

Beautiful! Beautiful!

Elena Malec said...

You are so talented, Cheri. This is an absolutely superb painting.

Nan Johnson said...

Absolutely Stunning! You did a great job on this!

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautifully done, Cheri.

Susan Roux said...

This is beautiful! I love the colors. The wonderful transitions between them... The yellow light makes it sing.

Poppy The Pig, Original Oil Painting by Cheri Wollenberg

Poppy Original 8x8 Oil Painting On Canvas by Cheri Wollenberg   Poppy is pig who might be hungry and waiting on his master to bring corn or ...