Monday, February 20, 2017

Miriam's Quilt Part II

This is the second post regarding Miriam's Down On The Farm Quilt (Fabric by Robert Kaufman) designed by Cheri Wollenberg.  I'm sure she is very busy at the moment as last week so I've decided to separate the installments of her process to post here.  This is so interesting and I see that it is very necessary to having a very professional looking quilt.  She is awesome for sharing this with me and I'll continue with Step 3 tomorrow.  Below are images documenting her first two steps.  Her personal explanation is as follows with documented images below:

Hi Cheri,
As luck would have it, I was able to get in a few hours of sewing this weekend (my comment: a few weeks ago - sorry for the delay in post).  This is what I have been able to accomplish so far:

1.  As I get ready to sew, the most important thing is to prepare my machine.   I have to make sure it is clean, has a new needle, the right threads are on top and on the bobbin, use the right foot for the project - Bernina 57D - great for a 1/4"seam project.  I tested the machine set up on a scrap piece of fabric and I was ready to go.

2.  I started with the binding preparation.  The binding is actually the last step of quilting but is the least thing I enjoy doing.  There is always something in everyone's hobbies that is not what you might particularly care to do but is a must.  So, what I learned to do is prepare it ahead of time so I won't have to worry about it later.  I joined the long strips, ironed the seams open and then ironed the strips in half and rolled them up into a ball until I begin to sew them down on the quilt around the edge for the nice finished look - more on the binding when I get ready to finish the quilt!

 Thanks for stopping by.  Please stay tuned.





No comments:

Poppy The Pig, Original Oil Painting by Cheri Wollenberg

Poppy Original 8x8 Oil Painting On Canvas by Cheri Wollenberg   Poppy is pig who might be hungry and waiting on his master to bring corn or ...