Wednesday, December 15, 2010

White Peonies 2010

White Peonies
by
Cheri Wollenberg
My husband and I grew up in Oklahoma.  We live in a different state now.  We live in a university town where we are blessed with many diversified cultures and wonderful people.  We love living here; however, we have found that the differences in how we pronounce words are not only with people who are from foreign countries.  I have to laugh as I write this because I have had to learn how to pronounce the flower (above), the peony as "pea-a-knee" rather than the "country" or "Oklahoman" way.  I had always called them "pea-o-knee" ....with an exaggerated accent on the "o" (laugh).  But, one thing I know....they are a beautiful flower and these were my yearly bouquet to emulate into a painting.  Their excellence of beauty is hard to capture, but I am satisfied that I painted it with energy and love.

5 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautiful peonies, Cheri. I had the same pronounciation problems when I moved from Massachusetts to Maine. Such as a pond named Range; I say range like the song "home, home on the range" but the locals call it rang "like I rang the bell" even though it has the e on the end. I would get looked at like I had two heads. Oh well!

SYLVIANE said...

It's funny to hear about your different accents!it's like here, in France, the difference between Paris and Marseille!
Beautiful painting, Cheri, I like your pot!

Karen Bruson said...

Gorgeous. Love how some of the petals fade into the background.

Jennifer Richardson said...

:) :) :)
Merry Christmas love
and hugs,
Jen

Jennifer Richardson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Poppy The Pig, Original Oil Painting by Cheri Wollenberg

Poppy Original 8x8 Oil Painting On Canvas by Cheri Wollenberg   Poppy is pig who might be hungry and waiting on his master to bring corn or ...