Monday, November 22, 2010

Turnips - You Either Like Them or Hate Them

Turnips
9x12 Oil on Canvas
by
Cheri Wollenberg
Recently I found some beautifully colored turnips at the nearby market and I decided that I was going to do a painting of them.  I remember a time as a child that turnips were being cooked in our home, and the aroma was very repulsive to me.  I had tasted raw ones before as my mother peeled them, and didn't mind the taste too much; however, the cooked ones really turned me off.   Today, I still can't appreciate the taste of the cooked turnip.  It is one vegetable that I do not like the taste; however,  I do appreciate the beauty of them!  I love the crisp texture, the purple, green, and creamy white colors and their circular shapes.   I had this sensational desire to paint them larger than life so I did!



9 comments:

Karla said...

I'm not a fan of eating turnips; But I definately a fan of this painting. Beautiful colors!

marissa said...

I love turnips! Maybe a little bit more for looking at than for eating... Wonderful painting, you captured their quiet beauty and that gorgeous purple hue.

Virginia Floyd said...

This is a beautiful painting. Both the leaves and the purple bulbs are great.

I'm a southern gal, so I grew up eating turnips. In my opinion, the best way to prepare them is to peel, cut up and boil in salted water until tender. Drain, add lots of black pepper, some butter, and about a tsp of sugar, and then mash them. Turnips are greatly improved by a big slice of cornbread!

Helen said...

Before this I have never thought of turnips as beautiful, but these are lovely - from the hairy root to the fresh tops.

Nan Johnson said...

Love the painting and their visual look. Great color on these. But I'm with you - don't want them on my plate either! LOL

SYLVIANE said...

I love turnips, and your painting, too!

Pam said...

Great painting! I love turnips and you captured the colors perfectly!

Angela Sullivan said...

I love love love these turnips. They look so good. They must taste even better....

Ruth Andre said...

You have captured real beauty with your Turnips painting. Love for turnips is not on top of the list but this painting is.

Poppy The Pig, Original Oil Painting by Cheri Wollenberg

Poppy Original 8x8 Oil Painting On Canvas by Cheri Wollenberg   Poppy is pig who might be hungry and waiting on his master to bring corn or ...